Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Back with a Tangent

I'm BAAAaaaaaK!  Ug!  My vacation is over and boy did I have a wonderful time in Chicagoland.  I got to spend time with my family and friends, but  I didn't get to see everyone that I wanted to.  I spent a lot of time trying to stay cool, but I also managed to squeeze some great memories in there as well.

I was born at MacNeal Hospital in Berwyn, Illinois (the "s" is silent in Illinois) on a cold winter's day in January 1960.  A few days later, my mom brought me home to our apartment in Chicago where I remember absolutely nothing until I was about three years old.  That was the year that all the adults were acting strangely when President Kennedy was killed.  Then the days just drug on because I couldn't watch any cartoons on TV because all programming was preempted by the endless funeral that followed.  Back in those days there were about seven channels on television; Channel 9 - WGN (Chicago's own TV station),  channel 2 - ABC, channel 5 - NBC, channel 7 - CBS, channel 11 - PBS, channel 26 (WCIU - UHF) and channel 32 (WFLD - UHF).  I didn't really know that then.  I just asked a grown up for cartoons and if cartoons were on, I'd get to watch them.  If there  were no cartoons on, then there was some mushy soap opera on, which was boring.  I was so lucky that WGN had lots of children's programming; Romper Room, Ray Raynor, Garfield Goose, and Bozo.  PBS had a nice selection too; Tiny Toe, Sesame Street, and Electric Company (oh yeah, we had electricity back then).  Keep in mind some of these details might be incorrect, but are probably pretty close, being interpreted by a three year old.

I have no idea why I went off on that tangent, I just felt that I needed to say that.




2 comments:

  1. Always go with your gut...tangents are sometimes fun! And welcome back. You were missed in the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete